High Commission of India in Ontario, Canada

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rate this Company/Service
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

High Commission of India in Ontario, Canada


Indian High Commission in Ottawa

Address :
High Commission of India
10, Springfield Road
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K1M 1C9

Working hours: 0900 hours to 1730 hours (Monday to Friday)

Telephone No: 613 744 3751, 613 744 3752, 613 744 3753

Fax No: 613 744 0913


List of Holidays


Gazetted Holiday


Day of week


New Year’s Day 01 January Thursday


Milad Un-Nabi 04 January Sunday


Republic Day 26 January Monday


Rama Navami 28 March Saturday


Good Friday 03 April Friday


Budha Purnima 04 May Monday


Canada Day 01 July Wednesday


Idu’l Fitr 18 July Saturday


Independence Day 15 August Saturday


Janmashtami 05 September Saturday


Labour Day 07 September Monday


Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday 02 October Friday


Dussehra 22 October Thursday


Muharram 24 October Saturday


Diwali (Deepavali) 11 November Wednesday


Guru Nanak’s Birthday 24 November Wednesday


Christmas Day 25 December Friday

Types of Visa

Tourist Visa

Tourist visa is granted to a short time visitor who intends to visit India for genuine tourism purposes. Therefore, the duration of Tourist Visa would usually not exceed 6 months.

Business Visa

Business Visa (BV) is granted to those who wish to visit India for business and trade purposes. A letter from the applicant’s company /organisation in Canada as well as an invitation letter from India indicating the nature of applicant’s business, probable duration of stay, the places and firms to be visited in India is required.

Entry Visa

Entry Visa is granted to Persons of Indian Origin and dependent family members of Employment Visa or Research/Student Visa holders. Persons of Indian origin(PIOs) should, in normal course, apply for entry visa.

Persons of Indian origin can also be granted Tourist visa also if they so wish. However, it may please be understood that Tourist Visa is non-convertible and non-extendable; Foreign nationals who own property in India can be granted one year Entry Visa. This visa can be extended later by the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer in India on a yearly basis up to a maximum period of 5 years.

Employment Visa

Employment visa (EV) is granted to those who wish to take up employment in India. Those who wish to do volunteer work in India are also granted EV. The duration of Employment Visa would be for the period of employment/volunteer work, which will usually not exceed one year at a time.

Conference Visa

Conference Visa (CV) is granted to attend Conference, Seminar or Workshop in India. It is usually granted for three month validity.

Research Visa

Research Visa (RV) is granted to those desiring to go to Indiafor undertaking some Research work. Usually the Research Scholars applying for Research Visa have their case sponsored by the Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute which is a body jointly set up by India and Canada to promote research. If your research work is sponsored by some other institute or university or yourself, then also the procedure remains the same.

When the Research visa is approved, the dependent family members of the research scholar are granted Entry Visa for a similar duration.

Student Visa

Student Visa (SV) is issued for undertaking educational courses in India. Its duration will depend on the duration of the course to which you have been admitted to in India.

Transit Visa

Transit Visa is meant for taking next connecting flight from a port within India en route to some other destination within 72 hours. Confirmed tickets for the onward journey are to be produced. Transit visa is given with a validity period of 15 days from the date of issue. It can be single entry or double entry depending on the requirement of the applicant. The visa is non-extendable.

Visa for Journalism and for Journalists

All Journalists, including photographers/film producer or director (other than of commercial films), a representative of a Radio or Television organisation, travel writer or travel promotion photographer etc. are required to apply for Journalist Visa only, even if the visit to India is for reasons other than journalism.

Medical Visa

Medical Visa is meant for those foreigners whose sole objective of visit to India is to seek medical treatment in established/recognised/specialised Hospital /Treatment Centres in India for serious ailments. The applicant is required to produce Medical certificate/advice from established/ recognised/specialised Hospital/Treatment Centres in India confirming the dates, place(s) and the duration of the treatment. Although not exhaustive, the following list of ailments would be of primary consideration: Serious ailments like neuro-surgery; ophthalmic disorders; heart-related problems; renal disorders; organ transplantation; congenital disorders; gene-therapy; radio-therapy; plastic surgery; joint replacement, etc.

The initial duration of the Visa is up to a year or the period of the treatment, whichever is less. The Visa will be valid for a maximum of 3 entries during the 1 year.

Medical Attendant Visa

Medical Attendant Visa is meant for the attendant / family members of the patient coming to India for medical treatment. This visa is co-terminus with Medical Visa of the patient. Maximum two persons (Attendant and family members of the patient) will be granted this visa. The applicant is required to produce a letter from established/recognised/specialised Hospital/Treatment Centres in India confirming that assistance is required by the patient on Medical Visa with the Medical Attendant’s name included in the said letter.

Visa in an Emergency situation

A Visa may be granted to those who need to travel to India in an emergency situation.

This service is usually rendered on a working day. The applicant is required to provide a proof of emergency and a confirmed and paid ticket for travel within the next 72 hours.

Emergency visa on a holiday

This service is available only to Persons of Indian Origin who will be required to produce their old Indian passports / surrender certificate / landing paper etc. to avail of this service. In cases arising out of extreme humanitarian, medical or death situations, the Visa Officer may, at his discretion, grant visa on a closed holiday – Saturday, Sunday or Gazetted holiday – also. In such cases, you will be required to produce a confirmed and paid-for air ticket for same day travel showing the emergent nature of your travel and hence the necessity of visa.

This page was viewed 63 times.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *